The following guest post was written by International Master and TOP Chess Director, Danny Kopec.
1. Develop Pieces (Bishops and Knights): You must get your pieces out.
2. Control The Center: You must move them to control the center.
3. King Safety: You should get you King in a safe position by
4. Space: You need space for your pieces with adequate pawn play.
5. Material Balance: Here is the Catchall. You cannot finish the opening with any loss of material (pawns, pieces) or permanent structural defects (PSDs).